Outside it's raining, you're on holiday and would love to do something else than sitting indoors while in Northern Norway. If you have good rainwear, there are many nice shorter hikes in the Lyngenfjord region, maybe a trip to one of the many outdoor rustic shelters can tempt you? If you are looking for an indoor activity we have a few tips for you.
Rainy day activities
- Visit the northernmost whisky distillery, Aurora Spirit, in Lyngen
- Visit one of the many museums, a great activity on a rainy day. During the summer, all the different museums from Nord Troms Museum is open, in addtion to the main exhibition at Halti, Storslett.
- Skibotn Market place, historical trading place in Skibotn
- Gamslett Gård, a typical fishermans farm in Svensby
- Holmenes Gård, a sea sami farm in Birtavarre
- Maursund Gård, a historical trading post in Maursund, Skjervøy
- Tørfoss Gård, a kven farm in the Reisa valley
- Halti exhibition Encounters in Storslett - open year round
- Learn more about the sea sami at the museum at Senter for Nordlige Folk
- Historical visit at Solhov, Lyngseidet. The largest wooden building north of Trondheim built in 1924. Tours on request.
- Stop by one of the cozy shops in the Lyngenfjord region
- Drop by one of the cozy cafés for a coffee or some snacks
- Learn more about salmon farming in the north at Aurora Salmon centre in Skjervøy
- Get to know Reisa National Park at the visitor centre Ovi Raishiin in the Reisa valley
- A kajakk tour on the Lyngenfjord in the rain, with a drysuit it is a fresh experience
Easily reachable rustic shelters and open cabins
Several places in the Lyngenfjord region you can come across rustic shelters and open cabins which can be a great destination for a rainy day hike. Here are a few tips about open shelters and cabins which are easy to reach.
- Day trip cabin at Dalberget, Djupvik
- Day trip cabin at Finneidet, Skjervøy
- Stussneset at Skjervøy
- Skihytta, in Lyngseidet
- Along the path to Lyngstuva
- Okseneset in Skibotn
- Kielva in Skibotn
Read more about the open cabins in the region here.